Monday, April 17, 2006

Back To Mine.

For those that don't know, the Back To Mine series consists of songs that people listen to after hours. It's the playlist that they put on after a hard day or night of work/drinking/clubbing. Some feature chilled out tracks to wind themselves down, while others prefer a mix of all, be it dance, country, death metal or old school rock.

Below is my playlist along with a lil explaination on why it's there in the first place. In some ways, it chronicles my life and offers a small glimpse into my sick, twisted mind.

Enjoy.


1. U2 - One. Love is a temple. Love, The higher law.
This was supposed to be my song. My wedding song. THE wedding song. Amazing how romantic we could be when we were much younger. The version with the German Philharmonic Orchestra is the most heart-rending.

2. Johnny Cash - Hurt. You can have it all. My empire of dirt.
This is a remake of the Nine Inch Nails classic, but Johnny Cash just does it so well that you can almost weep from the sorrow that is so thick in his voice.

3. James Blunt - Goodbye My Lover. I am here for you, if only you'd care.
Rather new to the playlist, but makes it just for sheer emotion, Blunt has got to be the most depressing emo guy out there. Goes well with alcohol, anything above 100 proof.

4. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony. And I'm a million different people from one day to the next.
The first of the 'Cut wrist and slowly die' songs, it's been a staple on my list due to me being a sucker for strings. A depressed friend almost drove himself off a highway flyover listening to this.

5. Neo Genesis Evangalion OST - Pachabel's Canon in D Performed by a String Quintuple.
The movie was a rollercoaster going downhill fast, as we could only watch helpless as NERV, the people who had been protecting the planet are just left to die after saving it for the last time. And as it unfolded, this song kept playing in the background.

6. Chemical Brothers - Where Do I Begin. Don't even know who's bed I'm in.
Beth Orton's vocals are haunting in this morning after track which just keeps playing in the back of your head after it's all over.

7. Dark Globe - Break My World. Use me up, cut me dry, shut my mouth, say goodbye.
An underground staple which features Amanda Ghost on vocals, I got hooked on this tune because of the dark feeling it gives; relaxing yet bitter.

8. Mew - Comforting Sounds. Honestly I tried to avoid it. Honestly.
First time I heard this was from watching their video. It got limited airplay, but stayed on my playlist since. I just love the way the song cresendos into it's climax, and keeps hitting you for multiples.

9. Underworld - Cowgirl. hurt the necessary feeling.
Underworld are fucking geniuses when it comes to dance music. If there's any rave by them in the vicinity, it would be a dream come true. Numerous of their tracks would make this list, but this one stands out the most. And no, I have no idea why it's called cowgirl.

10. Leftfield - Swords. I have become Pure water.
Something to listen to while winding down and driving home, Swords is also best played when it's raining. Real heavy. Compliments the lightning that would be streaking around you very well.

11. Orbital - Halycon and On and On.
First heard from the OST of Hackers, this is definitely the best thing to listen to as you sit in a corner and watch the city lights, or the sunrise. Don't forget the Screwdriver that goes with it.

12. Late Night Alumni - Empty Streets. i'm affected more than i had guessed on what was said
A new entry into the playlist, Late Night Alumni offers such angelic vocalist which has you hooked instantly. One of the best tunes to wind down to.

13. Kanye West - Heard 'Em Say. nothin's ever promised tomorrow, today
With the plinky piano and the guest vocals of Adam Levine, the best version is of course the Orchestral one that was done live. Kanye West may not be as good without his guest vocalists, but damn the man can produce a hit. Wonderful late night listening.

14. Marvin Gaye - Sexual Healing. and my emotional stability is leaving me
He's the man! Him and Barry White, probably caused the most number of pregnancies back in the 80s all the way till now. Will definitely unwind anyone.

15. The Prodigy - Break And Enter.
Can cause more windups than unwinding, but still makes the list just for post party lisening energy. Just keep the breakables away if it's been a rough night.

16. The Cure - Burn. But every night I burn But every night I call your name
It brings back images of a haunting Brandon Lee turning into The Crow. Surprisingly, it does help dissipate post party energy, though rage normally replaces it. Kinda makes you wanna watch the movie again.

17. Frente - Bizarre Love Triangle. You’ll say the words that I can’t say
Three versions of this song, the most haunting is still Frente's. With the soft vocals, you almost miss the intent of its lyrics. If you prefer electroclash then get the original by New Order.

18. The Cardigans - My Favourite Game. But in the end it’s always me alone
First heard in Grand Turismo, this is the gamer's track for everything that has gone wrong. Once again, keep the breakables safe.

19. Josh Wink - Higher State Of Conciousness.
The first 'tweeter' dance hit, sitting in the dark and just letting the tempo take you to the next level would be a wonderful way to end the night. Having someone curled up on your lap as well would be better.

20. New Order - Confusion. When I show you what you cannot see
Currently marketed on the internet as 'Blood Rave' , this all time favourite would be another wonderful way to end your alcohol blurred night. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

21. Faithless - We Come One. I drain the color from the sky And turn blue without you
How can I leave Faithless out of the list. Another tune that would wake the active imagination, alcohol and this would definitely cause you to visualize a rave running through your living room.

22. Lamb - Gorecki. all this time I've loved you and never known your face
How could I have missed this out? This is THE love song. Lambs haunting vocals and slow build up makes this a must have for the dark rainy nights after hours.

So that's the tracks that would show you just how my mind decides to shut down for the night. Or morning. Give it a try. Who knows. Maybe they'll enter your list as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger sippingsoda said...

New Found Glory - Catalyst. You contradict the fact that you still want me around
I just love this. No explanation.

April 17, 2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger melor said...

no portishead? tsk tsk tsk

nice list btw ;)

oh yeah, try explosion in the sky's Six Days At The Bottom Of The Ocean...sure layan max punya.

April 18, 2006 5:59 AM  
Blogger Rand0m said...

ah yes. i also left out fort minor's 'Where'd you go'. remember that one ? now people will start listening to it cos it's been released as a single :(

but i do know how to pick em.

also, fall out boy's dance dance.

April 18, 2006 12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think you forgot Günther - Ding Dong Song (You Touch My Tralala)

April 22, 2006 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home