Sunday, March 19, 2006

In Search of Sunrise - Nothing Could Be Better.

After all the work rescheduling, all the last minute plan changes, all the delays, it was worth it. Tiesto's performance at the F1 Renault Pit Party ( which was also part of his In Search of Sunrise tour) made this the best rave that I have ever attended in my life, and it's a little hard to top it after this. Simply put, I don't think I need to ever attend another rave since it probably wouldn't be able to top this one. (unless it showcases Underworld, Chemical Brothers or BT)

Projekt Sepang.
We managed to get to Sepang around 8ish without getting lost with ample parking to boot. As soon as we got out of the car, the sound and atmosphere was amazing. Even from across the road, the sound was kickass. After a quick bodycheck at the entrance, the 4 of us each bagged a free zippowannabe lighter by filling up some survey which would probably have us being dogged by junk mail for the next year or so. Drinks were fairly priced, with Heinekens going for rm15 and water/coke going for rm5. Needless to say, we shotgunned the first can :)

Drum Connection was playing a live set at that point, and from what I noticed, I'm quite sure it's Safari Duo with 2 more members added. They kept the crowd electrified and warmed everyone up well enough. Already you could tell there had a few thousand in the house already.

Around 9ish, some DJ with the shirt Milk started his warm up set, and surprisingly spun a very decent set. The best part was when he mixed in Orbital's Halycon and On and On which got the crowd moving well enough. By 10 however, his set didn't look like it was gonna finish on time.

And then the set finished, and new podiums were added into the mix. A lion dance started, followed by kompangs and then the whole place was lighted up with pyrotechnics, with rockets being fired straight towards the stage from the chillout point. And there he was in all his arrogance. Tiesto started his set. Please note - I state that Tiesto is arrogant not because I dislike him. I enjoy his music well enough. I call him arrogant because he's fucking good at controlling the crowd, and he KNOWS it.

He played 3 sets, his first had more of his newer works, and after an hour of working the crowd, a female vocalist took the stage to belt out a few of his tracks (which was sadly offkey due to her not wearing a earpiece). This was when I realized that she was a filler for him to take his breaks inbetween sets. As the 2nd set wore on though, I was rather distracted by the 15k people all over the place, as I tried to search for friends that have been messaging me since the start of his show. Fatigue was already taking over as I danced past stoners, ravers, shufflers, hedonists and 'damnyouhawt' women, and I was sitting my ass in the Heineken tent when the vocalist appeared again to give the man his break.

And around 1.30 the off-keyed woman died down, and a dragon dance started on stage. Peeking out of the tent, I started to hear the strains of Forever Today as the dragon floated on. After realizing that this was gonna be THE set, I managed to get the rest of the gang up and about and started to head towards the middle. And that's when it hit us. Unlike his previous sets, his went all out at this point, not allowing us to rest or breathe, instead just upping the ante with each track he played. He played us all like his puppets, because each time that we tried to rest, he would bang in another anthem.

How could you not dance to his last set? People who were out of it were getting back into the crowd. And when it looked like he wore us out, in came Adagio For Strings, which took everyone to another level all together, especially when the Malaysian Flag came up during the songbreak. And from that point, he decided to break us. He had the crowd singing to Love Comes Again. He had people go crazy when they heard Flight 643 and Suburban Train. And he had revellers who were leaving do a 180 when Traffic hit the floor. The man knows his shit. And that's to entertain.

And the best part? We stayed clean throughout the whole thing (which would be 60% of the crowd). All I had the whole night was 1 beer, a whole lotta water, and 2 1/2 packs of Smints. K so I'm guilty of a sugarless sugar rush >.< And even now, back in Penang, the event is still fresh in my mind.

Thank you for the best rave in my life Mistar Tiesto! bai.

You have become
What you have always been
Light flickering around
Peripheral vision
No words we can speak
Our paths have been chosen
But all trails that we trek
Should lead us back to here because our

Love comes again
Just when I've broken out of love
Love can come again
You gotta believe that
Love comes again
Just when I've broken out of love
Love can come again

Dig within me
Turn all the secret stones
Forests and fields
Breathing with blood and bones
Still no word we can speak
Our paths have been chosen
But all trails that we trek
Should lead us back to here because our

Love comes again
Just when I've broken out of love
Love can come again
You gotta believe thatLove comes again
Just when I've broken out of love
Love can come again

Tiesto feat. BT - Love Comes Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home